There are SO many things you can do with a degree in anthropology or sociology! But, how do you begin? Where do you start? Do you want to work for social justice? Help people? Do you like to work with children? Would you prefer to do research?
Our goal is to help you find a focus for your passion.
To help you find the job that is right for you, we developed an active list of organizations that typically hire sociology and anthropology students and graduates. These lists are not exhaustive, and will be added to over time. Note that there may not be openings within an organization at any given time, but it should not stop you from visiting the website again to see what else may be available. There may be other exciting opportunities waiting for you to consider.
Here is your TO DO list as you begin your search:
- DO start preparing for your future today! (Don’t wait until graduation);
- DO think about the type of work that interests you (e.g., helping people vs. doing research);
- DO consider the kind of population you want to work with (e.g., children or older adults);
- DO research the qualification requirements for the position that interests you in an organization; and
- DO explore the positions and departments within that organization that works closely with your interests and qualifications;
- DO look NOW for available internships, volunteer opportunities, or entry level positions you can do while working on your degree. It’s a great way to build your resume as well as network. Find out more by visiting: Internship Opportunities in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology;
- DO contact an alum who works in an organization you are interested in, and/or your field of interest to learn more;
- DO speak with the MSU Career Center, your advisor, or call the department office at 417-836-5640.
Keep in mind that the earlier you begin doing the things on this list, the more likely it is that you will be able to find work that interests you when you complete college. Don't wait! Do it now!
Jobs have been categorized into the following areas:
- Careers in Advocacy and Social Change
- Careers in Human Services and Non-Profit Management
- Careers in Social Research
- Careers in Archaeology.
Please keep in mind that the organizations may have positions that are not listed on this site, and that the organization may not have any open positions at this time.